THE WINNER OF THE
DESIGN A FENCE COMPETITION 2020
Polly Quaile Designed A Whale!
Congratulations to Polly Quaile aged 14 who is the 2020 winner!
The judges at Lindores Equestrian were overwhelmed with all the design entries for this years competition. We have to congratulate everyone who made the effort to create and send in such impressive designs. The standard of concepts are getting better and better every year which is making choosing one winner harder and harder for Lindores Equestrian.
Why did the Whale win?
The judges loved Polly’s design for a number of reasons. The concept with ‘no more plastic’ grafitti’d on a whale is extremely important message to save the beautiful planet we live in. We’ve never seen a jump design like it and we’re 100% behind what it says! The design has a very safe and forgiving profile for a training facility like Lindores. The design also has three jumping heights that can be wide enough to comply with British Eventing standards. The whale concept very cleverly allows for the 50cm height to be in the middle which we also loved for training.
Who came close second?
Competitions don’t normally tell everyone who came second – but this year we wanted to share a design that gave us the biggest laugh. We liaised closely with our British Eventing Course Builder on this design but sadly it just didn’t tick as many boxes as The Whale. So well done to Caroline Wilson and Frances Ferguson with their ‘Brave Pants and Posh Pants’ design. Inspired by the Equiteam Confidence Camps that are hosted here at Lindores. ‘Brave Pants’ was a strong re-occuring theme that clearly means a lot to many riders. Well done everyone!
Greta Thunberg inspires Polly Quaile
Polly Quaile the winner of this years competition is a member of Strathblane Pony Club and has a 15.1hh Irish Sportshorse called Noah. Polly learnt to ride in her local riding school from age 4 but she is also a keen sailor. She often sails with her dad on the west coast. She said she feels strongly about plastic pollution and she see’s plastic on the beaches and it makes her sad. At the time of this competition Greta Thunberg was sailing across the Atlantic and after a bit of research Polly realised there was no whale cross country jump in existence. Polly said,
‘I want to make a change and just like Greta I want to raise awareness of plastic pollution. This idea was a nice way to do it’
When Equestrian Manager Anna Black announced to Polly that she was this years winner Anna asked if there was anything the equestrian industry could do to help tackle plastic pollution and she raised a very clear point. Polly said:
I think it’s the small things, the industry could think about recycling feed tubs and doing their bit.
We both hope that this jump at Lindores Equestrian will help raise awareness and generate idea’s on how the equestrian industry could reduce plastic pollution.
The whale design is incredibly large scale and and it requires a 6metre long tree that is 1 metre wide. A huge amount of resource and effort was taken to find the perfect tree. The team at Lindores sustainably sourced a tree from the local town, Cupar. We will be telling the story of the tree and its journey to becoming a whale in future blogs.
The Whale will be carved and painted over the coming weeks by our British Eventing course builder. We will invite the winner of the competition to open the fence and be the first rider to jump it. After that, everyone is welcome to jump ‘The Whale’ at Lindores Equestrian training venue in Fife which opens 1st March 2020 and is open 7 days a week during daylight hours.
Until then, stay connected – and think about what you could do to reduce plastic pollution!
Top Christmas gift ideas for the equestrian who has everything
We’ve all got that one friend or partner who has everything or is just really hard to buy Christmas gifts for. So we’ve compiled a list of Christmas gifts to shorten your search time and still make them smile!
- A horsey or dog photoshoot – Who doesn’t love having photos of their precious four legged friend to hang on the walls at home and enjoy all year. If you’re looking for a special package have a look at Suzanne Black Photography, who is based here at Lindores. Suzanne often has some cracking Christmas gift offers on her Facebook page. https://www.suzanneblackphotography.co.uk/pet-portraits/
- Tickets for an event – HOYS, Olympia, Badminton, Blair, RHS the list is endless. There are so many fantastic equestrian events out there to choose from. You’ll benefit from early bird prices if you book them now!
- Subscription to a magazine – there is nothing a horse addict loves more than sitting down with a cuppa, some biscuits and a good horsey mag.
- Massage/beauty treatments – Let’s be honest horse owners often spend a lot of time and money pampering their horses, and forget about themselves.
- SOCKS – you can never go wrong with socks.
- A weekend away – escape from the stresses of life and enjoy 5 star ultimate luxury for couples. Book a 2 night break in The Arches – one of the most popular cottage breaks in the UK. Don’t forget to check the equine events schedule before you book, you don’t want to clash with an important outing. https://www.lindores.co.uk/the-arches/
- Gift vouchers for their favourite training venue – Lindores Equestrian Vouchers are the perfect gift because they are so flexible. They can be used anytime in 2020 towards hiring our award winning cross country course, arena, working hunter jumps on grass, campsite, bunkroom and stables. Buy your voucher today – https://lindores-xc.onyx-sites.io/gift-vouchers/
8. If you’re looking for an extra special Christmas package then contact us for bespoke Lindores – Stay Ride Relax horse holiday package for 2020. Read this old blog for inspiration…
Stay in touch:
Calling all budding fence designers…
After the success of our Build a Fence competition in 2018 we thought we would hand it back to our brilliant customers to design the Lindores showcase fence for 2020.
In 2018 the wonderful Wobbleberry Fence was designed thanks to the talents of Dorothy Drury and then bought to life by our British Eventing fence builder David Wilson. Read more…
Since then, along with the Lindores Boat and the Danny MacAskill keyhole, it has become one of the most popular fences on course and the one everyone wants to get a picture of. It’s also one of the favourites of the Lindores Team.
So the challenge is on. You don’t need to be an artist – just get your ideas down and we can bring them to life.
What the winner gets:
The winner will be invited to preview their creation and have the opportunity to be the first person to jump it on their horse (if they wish).
Things to consider when designing your fence:
What height and width will it be?
What materials will it be made from?
What colour might you like it?
HOW TO ENTER:
Get your creative juices flowing and send us your designs via email to [email protected] Entries close midnight 31st December 2019.
Designs can be submitted as either hand drawn, or computer generated. Please put your name on your design as well as details of the fence (height / width / materials used). All designs must be original ideas of the person submitting the design. The competition is open to all ages, but designs must be submitted by an over 18. Winners will be notified by email before the winner is announced by Lindores Equestrian on social media.
Good Luck!! From Award Winning Lindores Equestrian. Read more…
HORSE HOLIDAY LODGE PACKAGE
– 3 night break in Lindores Lodge for family or friends and their horses (sleeps 6+2)
Lindores Lodge 3 Night Stay: £703 (was £781)
Equestrian Facilities Per Horse Stay for 3 nights: £125
Check in Monday 7th October 2019 PM
Check out Thursday 10th October 2019 AM
Grab this last minute horse holiday package! We are offering this fantastic horse holiday package to a family or group of friends who fancy a last minute short break away to stay, ride and relax at Lindores Equestrian. Awarded Equestrian Business of the Year 2019 this is a your chance to experience Lindores in style! The offer is suitable for any group size from 2 people up to 8 people and their horses. Kids and pets very welcome.
What’s included during your stay:
Stabling with hay and strawy
Exclusive use of Lindores Lodge with three en-suite bedrooms, private hot tub and luxurious furnishings
Safe enclosed garden for kids and pets to play safely
Stunning countryside views for hacking and walks
On Tuesday 8th, Wednesday 9th or Thursday 10th October 2019
Arena hire with show jumps available for 1.5 hours
Working Hunter jumps on grass available for 1.5 hours
Lindores Cross Country available for 1.5hours
Optional extra’s not included in package:
Electric Lorry/Caravan Hook Ups
Check in from Friday Sunday 6th October from 4pm is available if preferred
To secure this package offer we require full payment and 20% of the balance is non refundable in event of a cancellation. If you wanted to enjoy more facilities or change the package slightly that is possible and can be agreed in advance. Horses must be fully vaccinated up to a year and guests must comply with the Lindores Equestrian Terms and Conditions which are provided at point of sale. Offer is subject to availability.
BOOK LINDORES LODGE ONLINE & HORSES DIRECTLY WITH CONTACT:
07736 044 058
Stay in touch: